“ We respect a neutrality of Moldova “After declaration of independence of Kosovo recognitions have demanded also unrecognized republics on the post-Soviet territory, including Dnestr region. The special representative of EU across Moldova KALMAN MIZHEI has explained to the correspondent “ “ to VLADIMIR - SOLOVEVU as the European Union concerns it.
- you divide optimism of Moldavian president Vladimir Voronina which hopes for a fast solution of a problem of Dnestr region?
- President Voronin has truly noticed that if someone wants to solve a problem it should be the optimist. I with it completely agree. But there are certain complexities. This week we met the Russian partners, and we had very friendly dialogue. But nevertheless to tell, when we will manage to resolve the Dnestr conflict while it is impossible. However, I have a sensation that we have a mutual understanding with the Russian side and we can move forward.
- That process brakes?
- If there is a conflict, round it necessarily there are interests. Interests of those who wants it to solve, and interests of those to whom and so it is good. It is one moment creating problems. The second consists in various interpretation of world tendencies. The European Union and Russia carry on constant dialogue on all these questions. But any dialogue demands time.
- that is the basic questions it is necessary to solve EU and Russia?
- There are many bilateral negotiations which should affect positively renewal of negotiations in a format 5+2. First of all it is Moldova and its Dnestr region. It is very important, that between them the consent and trust was established. Therefore we underline the importance of measures of trust and we do it, by the way, together with the Russian partners.
the approach of Russia is important, but also EU is more and more interested in the decision of a Dnestr problem. Since January, 1st, 2007 Moldova our direct the neighbour. The Dnestr conflict - the closest to our borders, therefore to solve it for us it is the extremely important. Besides Moldova - the poorest European country from gross national product at level of the African countries, and its separation from other countries of Europe only increases. Therefore and we, and Russia feel responsibility for helping Moldova to solve this question.
- as there are your negotiations with Russia?
- I will tell so: concerning what elements of settlement it is possible to enclose our approaches in process of negotiations, are very close. We for the balanced approach between functions of the state centre and very strong institutsionalno the guaranteed special status for Dnestr region. It is the extremely important. By means of experts of the Venetian commission we could find algorithm of how it to make. And then together with Russia could go further in this format. To us democratisation of Dnestr region is still extremely important. Many consider Dnestr region as the isolated space. Therefore I think that democratic standards - key aspect for the further development of Moldova, including Dnestr region.
- democratisation should pass before association or within the limits of already uniform state?
- Our negotiations with partners for the present have not approached to that point where it is already possible to speak about it more particularly. But the earlier there will be a democratisation, the better. Besides, we also spoke with the Russian partners on a safety theme. It was very constructive discussion. There are, of course, distinctions, but there are also general elements which can help to reach the consent in the future.
- you consider comprehensible that variant of the status for Dnestr region, which in interview “ “ president Voronin earlier has announced: an autonomy with large powers?
are words. It is necessary to concretise, fill them with the legal maintenance. But we are interested in decentralisation of the power and in that at region were wide institutsionalno the guaranteed rights.
- you like idea of fastening of the neutral status of Moldova in the special declaration?
- the Constant neutrality of Moldova is written down in the constitution. We respect this decision of the Moldavian state and we consider that the neutrality will not prevent integration of Moldova into EU.
- EU is ready to put the signature under the declaration on the Moldavian neutrality?
- I have already told that to begin with would like to see progress in negotiations about the status. The format 5+2 does not work two years. And in this format it is possible to discuss everything. A neutrality and all problems of safety. But progress is necessary.
- and still: the idea of the neutrality supported with the declaration, can be accepted the European Union?
- it seems To me that we should podiskutirovat about the maintenance of the definitive document on settlement. That will enter into it, and that is not present, now to speak prematurely. It is impossible to be fixed on one aspect, especially the volume, which Moldavian people for itself have already solved.
- I so understand, what EU has a problem with acknowledgement of a neutrality of Moldova?
- We respect democratic process in Moldova, but it is necessary to speak about all settlement in a package, instead of to be fixed on its separate elements.
- it seemed to me that it is an important element.
- Different aspects of definitive settlement of this conflict are interconnected. Therefore I cannot declare anything one aspect of process, besides, that we respect a neutrality of Moldova as it is a part of the Moldavian constitution.
- Means, signing by the European Union, the USA and Russia declarations on a neutrality on which Vladimir Voronin insists, is a theme for the further discussions?
- it is possible. We respect a neutrality of Moldova.
- EU Signature could become the additional certificate of this respect?
- About it while early to speak. I hope, in the near future negotiations in a format 5+2 will renew. In March hardly, but very much it would be desirable to set the parties for a negotiating table. Moldova has a package of documents, and it would be very good to begin at last dialogue. We are ready to discuss negotiating process in a format 5+2 and its carrying out in St.-Petersburg.
- yesterday at hearings in the State Duma of the Russian Federation the inquiry of Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Dnestr region about a recognition of their independence was considered. What do you think about it?
- the World community, including EU and Russia, recognises that borders of the states on the post-Soviet territory the definitive. The approach of all independent states on the post-Soviet territory was same. Russia on - former confirms territorial integrity of Moldova. We for that the same approach was and concerning Georgia.