Lamberto Zaner: peace-making operation not a problem, the conflict is a problemTo Moldova there has arrived the new secretary general of the Organization on security and cooperation in Europe (OSCE) of LAMBERTO ZANER. In Kishinev and Tiraspol it will spend a series of meetings with the Moldavian and Dnestr officials. Before visit mister Zaner has answered questions of the correspondent “” VLADIMIR SOLOVEVA and has told about that, properly to change a format of peace-making operation in Dnestr region and what is the time will occupy full export of the Russian ammunition from this unrecognized republic.
- the subject of change of a format of peace-making operation in Dnestr region became a platitude. You really consider, what leaving of the Russian peacemakers from region will raise level of security in the conditions of political neuregulirovannosti the conflict?
- Peace-making operation not the problem, the conflict is a problem. Steady settlement of the conflict - here that will really raise security in region.
Peacekeeping forces have played and continue to play an important stabilising role in region. Operations on maintenance of peace, however, should adapt for new calls and political realities, and highly militarised peacekeeping forces, whose presence has been co-ordinated 20 years ago, can not approach any more to region where today, apparently, already there is no serious risk of a confrontation. Nevertheless any changes in a format of peace-making operation should be made carefully and produmanno, at a well-chosen moment and with the consent of all whom it mentions.
- statements for necessity of change of a format of operation have, as a rule, the general character. On what particularly it needs to be changed?
- We hope that all participating parties will work together to find the mutually acceptable decision to improve present peace-making operation that will contribute in a freedom of movement and will lower risk of serious incidents in a safety zone.
- a format " 5 + 2 " (Moldova, Dnestr region, OSCE, the Russian Federation, Ukraine observers from the USA and EU) has earned plus, and it is the fact. But the fact and that the parties and intermediaries are far from discussion of a question of the status of Dnestr region as a part of uniform Moldova. What prevents to be risen to it?
- At negotiations in a format " 5 + 2 " the extensive agenda. It is based on the concept of baskets. When the summons was developed, various questions have been divided into three baskets. The first contains socially - the economic problems, the second - legal, humanitarian and questions of human rights. These baskets cover essential problems which citizens on both coast face daily: the excessive time spent for unnecessary formalities on administrative border, problems with phone calls to the relatives living on other to river bank, necessity to use inconveniently long routes to get on other coast, from - for shortages of check points and that is not less important, excessive barriers to the international trips. We are glad that the parties try to solve these questions in a priority order. The third basket concerns institutional, political problems and the safety issues connected with all-round settlement. All participants recognise that the third basket - the heaviest, but is ready to help to reach OSCE to the parties of progress in all areas.
- a question on on what basis it is necessary to solve the Dnestr conflict, calls rough disputes. There are supporters federalizatsii republics and opponents of this model. You concern what camp?
- Thereupon at mission of OSCE in Moldova the concrete mandate - " to promote achievement of steady, all-round political settlement of the Dnestr conflict in all its aspects ". Our problem - to promote negotiations and to help the parties to come to the steady decision which will confirm the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Moldova and will be recognised inhabitants of Dnestr region, guaranteeing their political, economic rights and human rights.
- the subject of association of Moldova with Romania is a subject of constant gamble. Not last role in it is played by a position of the Romanian and some Moldavian politicians. What do you in this respect think? How much pedalirovanie this question complicates negotiating process under the conflict decision in Dnestr region?
- Fortunately, I do not observe any influence of these gamble on negotiating process. But as a whole the lack of dialogue during here has led 20 years to gamble and unreasonable fears on either side of the conflict, and it is one of the reasons, on which OSCE and its mission in Moldova work for expansion of contacts between people.
- we will assume that Kishinev and Tiraspol have closely come nearer to definitive settlement of relations on the basis of territorial integrity of Moldova. A leah should acquire Tiraspol the right to self-determination to a case of hypothetical change it is international - legal status of Moldova, for example in case of its association with the next Romania?
- OSCE aspires to help to come to the parties to mutually acceptable and mutually advantageous settlement of the conflict. And not to me to argue on in what form it will be or should be.
- In Dnestr region there are warehouses with many thousand tons of old Russian ammunition. On an example of Russia and Ukraine it is visible that warehouses have property to burn and blow up. Military experts say that if rvanet in Kolbasne, consequences are pitiable. OSCE in 2001 showed readiness to be connected to recycling of ammunition. What prevents to start them to utilise? What destiny of chamber Donovan (the American detonation chamber for recycling of ammunition was delivered to Moldova ten years ago but so never and it was not used)?
- Detonation chamber Donovan intended for destruction of out-of-date ammunition in village Kolbasna, but its application to destination and was not authorised in region. It has been returned to the USA, the country of the origin. Unfortunately, the Russian ammunition and the equipment were not taken out since March, 2004. Also since 2004 access on a warehouse in Kolbasne for inspection and consequently it is impossible to estimate storage conditions or quantity of military property not subject to transportation which there is stored is not possible to get mission of OSCE in Moldova. And still I hope that the spirit of cooperation which was shown by a new management of Dnestr region in other areas, for example in the agreement reached with assistance of Mission of OSCE, on a solution of a problem of an industrial radioactive waste on the left coast, will be expanded and on this area too. OSCE possesses sufficient financial resources and experience to finish process of export of ammunition that, on the majority of estimations, can be made less than for six months.
- on a Dnestr plot closeness which generates hearings more often is observed. A leah really it is possible to speak about a certain consensus in this respect between Russia and Germany? This subject emerges regularly, and it would be desirable to understand, how actually affairs here are.
- I think that the Mezerbergsky initiative supported by chancellor Merkel and president Medvedev of that time in 2010 (in German Mezerberge Angela Merkel and Dmitry Medvedev have voiced idea about creation by Russia and EU of committee concerning foreign policy and a security policy which and was not realised. - “” ), has helped to draw attention of the higher officials to necessity to solve safety issues in region, and in particular to process of Dnestr settlement. Germany also has brought the contribution to positive dynamics which we observe in this process, having received a number of important conferences on measures of strengthening of trust.
settlement of the Dnestr conflict is a part of the bilateral agenda of the USA and Russia. We know that the question Dnestr settlement is one of the major and in the European Union agenda. EU has given more ˆ10 million on initiatives on trust strengthening at level of local communities. So, in my opinion, it is obvious that the international community is uniform in the pressing forward to find steady settlement of the conflict.
- you tell often about wide inkljuzivnosti OSCE. Why last 20 years mission in Moldova are headed by exclusively American diplomats? Why there is no rotation to attraction of other states: Russia, Ukraine, yes everybody?
- it is valid, for many years the post of the head of mission in Moldova was occupied often with the American diplomats, but there were also heads of mission from Great Britain and Canada. The applicant for this fast passes process of competitive selection in which candidates from the several states-participants of OSCE usually participate. I also would underline multinational character of the command of mission of OSCE in Moldova. Ambassador Brash has remarkably begun work in the new quality, and we will be glad to help it with that its mission in Moldova was successful.
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii